Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 13 Summer June 24

Today we tidied up McKenzie's room. Since we re-did her room last November (and removed half of her belongings!) she has done a really good job of keeping things tidy. We mostly just went through her dresser and cleaned up the stuff that had migrated under her bed. I still need to take pictures of that room all tidied up!


In the afternoon Becca and I . . . let's see. . . what did we do?? It's funny how the summer days just seem to run together! I believe we ate at the CK Bakery (which used to be the Atlanta Bread Company). It was pretty good. Behind the bakery used to be a little thrift shop where I got a cabinet for my dining room about five years ago. Well, it's not there anymore! So we headed up the road and ended up at Tuesday Morning which my friend Tanya had suggested we stop by. Well, thanks to Tanya, I dropped about $300! Yikes!! The big ticket item was a King-size comforter set and sheets. I've been looking for months and I really love the comforter, but I'm still not sure. The truth is that 8 months out of the year, we only need to sleep with a sheet or light blanket. So having a comforter on the bed looks nice, but it's really just for show since we would need to pull it off the bed each night!. What I have now is a duvet cover with no duvet in it. The weight is just right for most of the year. The issue is that our mattress is sooooo thick (22 inches) it's nearly impossible to find a blanket or comforter that will cover the whole thing! And there just aren't many California King duvet covers on the market. Of course, I could always sew something. . . Anyway, we also picked up some decorative pillows and some odds and ends craft stuff.

Then it was off to Goodwill to look for shorts for McKenzie. She has been growing so fast the past year or two that she grows out of her clothes way before she wear them out. Not such a big problem except for this week when she has needed junky clothes to wear to her art class. It was a lot of work but Becca and I waded through rack after rack of high waisted, pastel colored, pleated shorts to find three pairs that we thought would work for Kenzie! (And you will be happy to hear that all three fit her!!) Becca and I also found this really great consignment shop called Plato's Closet. Their niche is carrying teenage clothes for boys and girls. Bonanza for us! We'll have to take Kenzie there soon so that she can check it out. I expected to see jeans, tops, shoes and bags but what I didn't expect were to stacks of young adult novels for $2! What a great deal! So Becca and I brought home a big sack of books for $30!

Thursday night we watched So You Think You Can Dance and a rerun of Glee! which we all love and adore (we have all four albums and Becca plays them constantly).
Okay, I will add the photos of the comforter and you can tell me which look you prefer. . .
The first one is a red coverlet that we have had, the second is the reverse side of the new comforter and the third one is the floral side of the new comforter. Is it too much? Kenzie thinks it makes the carpet look dirty (although you can't really tell in the picture).

New comforter. . . please excuse the mess! We haven't gotten to this room yet!

0 comments: