Thursday, January 15, 2009

Trip to Epcot


Well we are back from our mini-vacation from Orlando, safe and sound! The girls and I had a great time at Epcot and we had beautiful weather. Mike spent the day cooped up inside, reviewing science questions for the FCAT. Oh well . . . fitting punishment.

So we left for Orlando around 6:30 or so, stopped for dinner at Arby's on the way and hit the Turnpike. I promptly fell asleep. I've been on a lot of meds for my neck pain, so I was out like a light. Next thing I know, Mike wakes me up and asks, "So should I get off at Osceola?" and I reply, "Well that depends on where the hotel is." Orlando is a big and confusing place for us small town folks, so having directions is a must. There must be 50 different freeways and highways and they all have 5 different names. It's insane. So Mike says, "I think it's by the airport." What do you mean you THINK it's by the airport? "Well, it's at the same place it was last year." This is an annual thing for Mike and the girls and I went along (with my dad, too) last year. "Um. . . honey, it wasn't at the airport last year. We stayed at the Radisson right outside Universal. Remember?" No, apparently not. The gist of it was that Mike did not know where our hotel was. He wasn't even sure which hotel it was at. Great. It's 8:30 at night. We're all tired and we have no f***ing idea where we are staying that night. So we drove around for an hour, yes an hour, while Mike got us all kinds of lost, before he finally called a co-worker to look up the email that showed where the reservations were. Ugh. Not pleased. The girls and I were seriously grouchy. and cranky. and tired. and did I mention grouchy? The hotel room was nice with a sitting room and a separate bedroom, but there was only one bed, so the girls and I took the big comfy king bed and made Mike sleep on the couch. Did I mention that we were grouchy?
In the morning Mike went down to the conference room to do his thing and the girls and I drove off to Epcot, which is waaaaaay across town from the airport where we were staying. Long drive, but we didn't get lost. Because we knew where we were going. and we had a map. And we see well enough to read signs. All good things.
Epcot was great. The weather was around 70, with super sunny skies. The only line was for Soarin', everything else was under 5 minutes. We saw pretty much everything we wanted to see (except the fireworks... we didn't want to stay that late.) and went back to the hotel to pick up Mike around 7 o'clock and drove home. The end.

4 comments:

peer pressure made me do it said...

Oh my gosh! Kenzie is so big that I'm going to cry. You had better watch the boys. She's a stunner. How have I never met Becca? It makes me so sad! That sounds like a great trip (except for the husband thing). Are Zeke and Mike still bros separated at birth?

The Gilmore Family said...

Your story made me laugh. For some reason, I don't think that you wanted to go on THAT kind of adventure! :) Note to self (um, that's you Kendra): next time ask husband to email hotel confirmation information, then print your own set of directions. That way if he doesn't, you have them. That's a fall back plan. See, brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Does it surprise you that Mike would not be THAT organized. I will just think that it was all of those meds that you were on to just leave it up to Mike like that;) Love ya Mike, but we all know where it leads to when you are in charge (or think you are in charge) for directions that is. Good punishment though, I have to appreciate the sleeping on the couch thing, that's great!!!
Karrie

Kendra said...

You would think that I would know better, wouldn't you?? But someday I keep hoping that he will grow up and become a responsible adult!!